This website has been produced to represent the two public cemeteries in Hamilton.
The oldest cemetery, known as the General Cemetery, is located at 209 Coleraine Road, and was established in 1852. The Government Gazette referred to this address as Wannon Road and the township as The Grange (the original name for Hamilton). This Cemetery is still in use today.
In February 1970, the second cemetery, a lawn cemetery, was opened in Cavendish Road opposite the Race track.
One of the characteristics of the two cemeteries is that they both retain their original character. The older Hamilton General Cemetery is largely unspoilt with its grand monuments and old style graves including many unmarked graves. The newer Hamilton Lawn Cemetery takes on a more modern, landscaped appearance that only a lawn cemetery can achieve.